We have all heard people saying that dentistry departments in hospitals are vital. Have you ever thought about what dentistry is all about?
In the simplest of terms, dentistry means studying teeth, gums, the mouth, and the jaw. It is a branch of medicine that deals with diagnosing and treating these four parts of our body. If you thought that oral health was dispensable, this write-up would clear all the myths. Oral health is as vital as your overall health. Even the slightest discomfort or pain in the tooth, gums, or the mouth and the jaw can impact your general wellbeing.
Dentistry is a costly affair:
A working dentist in Australia has put in a minimum of 7 years for studying, including acquiring clinical experience. Postgraduate dentists in Australia have studied 4 years longer. Dentists who work in Western Australian dental clinics and emergency rooms are legally required to register their degrees with the Dental Board in Australia to practice their profession.
Dentistry, like all other branches of medicine, is one of the most expensive degrees in Australia. The course is of high cost because dentistry requires a very high amount of clinical practice, which entails extra costs. On average, a single year at the dental college in Australia can set the student back by $140,000 per annum! Hostel and food will account for more.
The question here is, “why should one spend such an amount on such a trivial course?” Well, here is a shocker for you according to the statistics, each one of us pays more attention to exterior looks than what’s happening inside our body.
Trust us; you don’t want to flash yellow teeth or chipped teeth when you have a hearty laugh. A dental visit, irrespective of how expensive, definitely qualifies for a visit. Such being the mindset, it is essential to understand what dentistry all is about.
How often should you visit a dentist?
Many of us believe that a dentist must be visited only when you are struck with tooth pain, but this is far from the truth. A dental visit twice every year will ensure that the doctor can diagnose your oral health and hygiene. This would help you treat and prevent more complicated issues of mouth infections. Routine visits to the dentist are highly recommended because:
- It will keep your teeth and mouth healthy
- It helps identify tooth decaying in the earliest stages
- Nips gum diseases in the bud
- Prevents bad odour as regular cleaning, brushing and flossing will keep bacteria at bay
- Excellent oral health makes you self-confident and improves your congeniality
- Teeth look bright because the food stains are cleaned regularly
- Here is a list of minor services that you can get from your trusted dentists at Mandurah:
How to choose the best dentist in Mandurah?
The best dentist in Mandurah is someone that assures you the best of dental care in comfort and the safety of a well-equipped dental clinic. Here are the attributes that you may look for in a dentist at Mandurah. Usually, patients have an inkling of whether the dentist that they are seeing is right for them. Here are a few pointers for you to know whom to choose and whom to ignore.
- Are the appointment schedules convenient?
- Is the clinic close by and easy to commute to?
- Is the clinic in order, and does it inspire confidence?
- Was your medical history recorded with emphasis on all essential facts?
- Does the dentist inspire confidence in you; does he explain the treatment before he begins, does he answer all your questions and allay your fears and doubts?
- Do they offer modern and state-of-art care for the entire family?
- Are there Saturday appointment so that you can visit them in case of a busy lifestyle
- Has the dentist worked out the tentative cost of the treatment before the treatment began?
- Is he a licensed member of the Dental Association of Australia?
What are the business hours?
All dental clinics in the Mandurah and the Perth region work five days, Mondays through Fridays, from morning 8:30 am to evening 5:30 pm. Most clinics also work on alternating weeks on Sundays to benefit those who seek an appointment only on holiday.
The emergency team at these dental clinics work 24 hours and are well equipped with emergency dentistry. They can handle everything from emergency root canal treatments to filling or putting back broken adult teeth. They are also excellent at handling pediatric emergency cases.
What are the different branches of dentistry?
There are so many specialties of dentistry, such as:
• Pediatric dentistry that is specializing in caring for teeth concerns of very small children to teens;
• Endodontics that is specializing in root canals;
• Oral and maxillofacial dentistry that looks at pathology, radiology, and surgery of mouth;
• Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics;
• Periodontics that treats gum diseases and
• Prosthodontics; the branch that helps with implants.
Are you aware of Sedation Dentistry?
It is common to find a lot of people fretting over their dentist’s appointment. However, the good news is that there is something called sleep dentistry or pain-free sedation dentistry. The sedation dental clinic staff is very well trained to handle anxiety cases and keep them calm through the surgery.
Sedation dentistry is the right solution for nervous patients. It allows them to get the benefit of the best dental care without experiencing an iota of discomfort. The best part about sedation dentistry is that no one thing suits all. The treatment is tailor-made after a thorough investigation of each case.
Benefits from sedation dentistry:
Sedation allows the patients to relax through the dental treatment procedure and return to routine activities almost immediately.
Types of sedation:
• Inhalation: this is best for mildly anxious patients. This method is 90 percent resorted to.
• Usage of nitrous oxide: dubbed as the laughing gas, administering nitrous oxide can make the patient feel instantly calm. It is quick-acting, and the effects also wear off quickly.
• Intravenous is a safe and effective method involving administering pain-relieving drugs into the bloodstream to induce drowsiness. The anesthesia allows the patient to be in a communicable state but oblivious of any pain in the procedure.
• Sleep dentistry allows the patient to doze off while the procedure is carried on thoroughly.
How to avoid a Dental visit?
If you are someone that wants to know how to take care of their teeth and avoid dental checkups, here is an excellent list to consider:
1. Brush two times a day and floss your teeth at least once.
2. Your toothpaste must contain fluoride. You can prevent newer cavities in your mouth by using a mouthwash with fluoride in it.
3. Do not give in to temptations to eat foods that are laced with too much sugar. Sugar can increase bacteria in the mouth leading to plaque buildup and eventually forming cavities.
4. Stop tobacco because it can lead to mouth cancer and stained teeth, and other gum diseases
5. Brush your tongue. Yes, you heard that right. It will remove all the food that is trapped in the tongue and keep your mouth fresh.
6. You must see your dentist once every six months.
Tips for finding the best dentist in Mandurah
You can Google dentists in Mandurah or visit unique websites that list the numbers of emergency dentists and bulk-billing dentists. These websites also provide you with patient testimonials and reviews. This makes it easy to make the right decision, especially when caught with less time on hand in an emergency.
Australian Dental Association (ADA) suggests you ask family, friends, neighbours, and co-workers for recommendations. Your pharmacist is also an excellent person to take guidance from. If you are changing cities, your current dentist is the right person to recommend a dentist in your new place. You could contact local and state dental societies. The ADA has a list of Mandurah dental societies on its website called ada.org.au. Check out the lists in the telephone directory under “dentists” and “dental associations.”
Many websites let you search for a reliable family dentist from their listing in Mandurah or Perth. The listing provides patients with all relevant information about the practitioner to help them make an informed choice. They have customer support numbers that promptly get back to you with the name and number of qualified professionals. It is now possible to book a dentist appointment slot online in Mandurah.
Mandurah Dentists – is an affordable payment plan available for patients?
Most clinics have great offers for new patients! Some of them offer free, comprehensive oral examinations along with a couple of free dental x-rays. There are a lot of offers to grab if you have eligible health insurance. Clinics across Mandurah run all the time of the year, and therefore you must check out their recommendations when you call them up for an appointment or check online at the time of booking. Make sure you read the fine print of the offers to avoid any disappointments and over-billing due to miscommunication and overlooking facts.
It is a truth that dental emergencies do not see the date or time. They can happen anytime, on holidays and even in the middle of the night. Dentists in Mandurah are forever ready to alleviate their pain and suffering by providing them with the best-designed care that is also very convenient.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if a dental emergency happens to me?
If there are severe tooth pain and discomfort due to cavities and decay, or a broken tooth or pus formation in your gums, you must check into a dental clinic’s emergency room as soon as possible. Keep the phone numbers handy to ensure that there is someone to attend to you when you reach there.
What are the responsibilities of a dentist and his team?
The best dental practices entail a team approach. It means not just comprehensive but also efficient and cost-effective treatment. A dentist’s team includes assistants, lab technicians, and other dental paramedics headed by a principal dentist specializing in oral health.
A dentist’s responsibilities include
• To diagnose diseases of the mouth.
• Preventing diseases of the tooth, gums, and jaws
• Curating plans to restore a patient’s oral health and hygiene
• Reading X rays and evaluating other diagnostic test results.
• Administering a safe amount of anesthetics
• Monitoring health and restoring bad conditions
• Performing surgeries on teeth, bones, and softer tissues in the mouth.
Is sedation dentistry safe and effective?
For patients prone to anxiety and feel very nervous in the dentist’s chair, sedation dentistry is the best option. A lot of clinics in Mandurah and around the area offer it. Sedation can be done even if the patient requires a simple procedure like filling between the teeth. It is completely safe and very effective.
What is cosmetic dentistry; what are the types?
For those that love to sport a million-dollar smile, cosmetic dentistry shows the best way forward. Cosmetic dentistry is also called a “smile makeover” because it dramatically improves the smile after quick cosmetic oral procedures.
• Veneers are very thin porcelain or resin covers for covering the front surface of the teeth. It is bonded after scraping the enamel from the tooth’s surface.
• Bonding involves using plastic putty on the damaged tooth and then hardened using a UV light source.
• Crown, also called a cap, fits correctly over the decayed tooth and restores the mouth and jaw’s shape.
• Dental Implants are titanium replacements inserted right inside the bone socket of the missing tooth. When the jawbone gets healed, it will safely anchor the metal socket providing a good foundation.
• Bridges and dentures are used to rectify and replace missing teeth.
• Dental braces help in aligning teeth by putting pressure on the tooth for some time.
What about the oral hygiene of people with special needs in Mandurah?
Australian Dental Association recommends the following tips for finding dental care for people with special needs:
- Let the dentist know about the special needs.
- Enquire if the dentist is trained in treating patients with specific needs
- Find out if the dentist is interested in treating patients with specific conditions.
- In case of financial difficulties, check if the dentist is a participant in dental insurance programs.
- Choose the dental facility wisely, and only after you are convinced that it is accessible to the disabled.
- Keep options open, and do your homework well.
It is essential to keep in mind that you will need to visit your dentist to maintain the best oral health routine. Given this, it makes a lot of good sense to do extensive research before you zero in on the right dentist for yourself and your loved ones.