What to Expect from Your Emergency Root Canal Procedure?
You should not ignore tooth pain as it could become a nightmare. To avoid any long-term damage to your teeth, an emergency root canal is your best bet. Here is what you should know about getting an emergency root canal.
Why do I need to get emergency root canal treatment?
An emergency root canal may be a lifesaver for those who are going through unbearable tooth pain. This could be caused because of a damaged tooth that has a pulp chamber that has been compromised. A root canal may also be needed when an infection penetrated the nerve and pulp. Trauma, tooth decay, an infection, or an accident could compromise the pulp chamber and cause unbearable pain. You should not ignore tooth pain as it could become a nightmare. To avoid any long-term damage to your teeth, an emergency root canal is your best bet.
Is root canal treatment safe?
A root canal is completely safe. While many myths surround root canal treatments, it is essential to know that even though there are a few risks involved, the procedure is safe to carry out.
· Root canal never causes illness. Some may feel feverish, but that is not because of the procedure but because of the pain.
· A root canal also does not cause any pain in your jaws unless it is affected by any external factor.
· Tooth extraction is not better than a root canal. A root canal saves your tooth, which is always better than extracting your tooth
· People may experience a loss in appetite for a few weeks post root canal treatment. The main reason for this is not the procedure, but because of a change in the dental structure. The pills are given to ease tooth pain, and quick recovery may also cause a slight drop in appetite.
What to expect during the root canal procedure?
The root canal treatment is an endodontic treatment that will take one or two visits. Here are the steps involved:
· The endodontist will first examine the teeth and take a radiograph of the infected tooth using an x-ray. He will then administer local anesthesia. Once the tooth gets numb, the dentist would place a shielding sheet or the dental damp on the area, which separates the infected tooth and keeps it clean. The tooth is also kept free of the saliva all through the process.
· A little wide opening is done in the crown of your tooth. A small instrument is used to clean the pulp from the chamber and the root canal, and this is also used to shape the filling.
· When space is cleaned and shaped, the root canal is filled using a biocompatible material in nature. This is usually a material that resembles rubber. It is placed using adhesive cement that ensures total toot canal sealing. The temporary filling will be placed close to the opening, and this is removed before the dentist will restore the tooth.
· After the last doctor visit for a root canal, you will have to come back to have the crown placed on your tooth so that it can restore its function.
· If the tooth does not have enough structure to hold the crown, the dentist will instead put a post in the tooth.
Cost of Emergency Root Canal Treatment in Mandurah
The average cost of Root Canal Treatment in Mandurah
The root canal cost depends on the severity of the problem and the root that is affected. A typical root canal cost will range from $2000 to $3400. If it is a molar treatment with three canals, this will be around $2700 without placing a crown and almost $4700 with a crown.
Your dentist in Mandurah will be able to give you the accurate root canal treatment cost after the initial consultation.
Things that can affect the cost of Root Canal Treatment in Mandurah
There are quite a few factors that determine the cost of root canal treatment.
· Who is carrying out the procedure determines the cost of your treatment? A root canal can be done by a general dentist as well as endodontists. An endodontist would charge you 20 or 30% over the cost of a general dentist.
· The equipment used in the procedure is another factor that determines the cost: modern and complicated equipment and processes that make the procedure faster and less painful.
· If the root canal case is complicated, then it will cost more.
Can I use my Medicare to pay for my Root Canal Treatment in Mandurah?
Medicare does not cover dental treatments in Mandurah unless these are for the well-being of the patient. A root canal does not come under the essential treatment section, and thus your Medicare does not cover it.
Does most private health insurance cover root canal treatment?
Private health insurance may partly cover root canal treatment. Please check with us or with your private health insurance provider if your current health policy covers root canal treatment.
Root Canal Treatment Recovery
The immune system of your body plays a role in the success of the procedure. Rest assured that the root canal does not cause any major health problems, and the recovery is also fast.
Will A Root Canal Procedure Work, Every Time?
Root canal treatment works most of the time. However, the teeth could get infected after a root canal if some basic care is not taken. The root canal does not remove all the bacteria from our infected teeth. There will always be some bacteria present at the bottom of your tooth. However, that will not cause any teeth related to diseases. The immune system of your body also plays a role in the success of the procedure. Rest assured that the root canal does not cause any major health problems.
What to expect after the root canal procedure?
After the root canal procedure, the endodontist will give pain management instructions and care for the tooth while recovering from the treatment.
And until you go for the next follow-on visit, it is essential to follow the correct care if there is a crown or temporary filling placed in the place.
The medication given to numb the mouth when it wears off will cause some tenderness in the area for some days. There may also be some mild soreness in the mouth because of keeping the jaws open for so long. These are temporary problems that get cured easily with the medications. Your doctor may also prescribe stronger medication and narcotics, depending on your situation.
While you will experience some sensation and a different feeling in the treated tooth, you need to watch out for these signs:
· Sheer pain or pressure that lasts for more than some days
· A swelling inside or outside the mouth that is visible
· Allergic reaction to any medication
· Temporary filling or crown that comes out
· Similar symptoms as experienced before the treatment
In any of the above cases, rush to the dentist without delay.
How long is root canal treatment recovery time?
The recovery time for a root canal patient is not fixed and will differ from one patient to another. Some may have high resistance to pain, while others may not bear even the slightest amount of pain. The recovery time thus depends on a case to case basis.
The above guide lets you know all about a root canal process and where you would have to get an emergency root canal treatment in Mandurah. A root canal is completely safe. While many myths surround root canal treatments, it is essential to know that even though there are a few risks involved, the procedure is safe to carry out.