We have often heard people complain about the travails of their wisdom teeth. But what exactly are wisdom teeth?
The wisdom teeth are the last of the molars. They either erupt in your late teens or your early twenties. The eruption of wisdom teeth is a normal dental phenomenon, albeit painful for many people. There are four wisdom teeth; two in the upper jaw and another two in the lower jaw. Not everyone will have four wisdom teeth; some may have three, other two, and some not at all!
Some people turn out to be very lucky because they don’t experience any pain during their eruption. That is because the teeth come through without causing any issues. A majority have painful wisdom teeth warranting undergoing treatment and removal.
- Wisdom teeth can be problematic because they cause multitudinous dental troubles such as:
- Emergency Wisdom Teeth Removal:
- Is Emergency Wisdom Tooth Removal Right For You?
- Is Wisdom Teeth Removal Painful?
- Where can I receive Emergency Wisdom Teeth removal?
- Cost of Removing Wisdom Teeth in Mandurah
- Things that can affect the cost of wisdom teeth removal:
- What to eat after my wisdom teeth removal?
- Tips for FAST Recovery After Wisdom Teeth Removal
- What to do if there’s an infection after the wisdom teeth removal?
Wisdom teeth can be problematic because they cause multitudinous dental troubles such as:
– Overcrowding of existing teeth where there is no room for the wisdom tooth to come out correctly;
– Impaction, that is to say when the wisdom tooth comes through at some angle that pushes into the gum or the tooth beside it;
– Swelling in the gums or infections with abscess;
– Pain in the adjacent teeth;
– Difficulty in chewing food, swallowing, or even brushing;
– Bad Mouth odour
Doctors in Mandurah and everywhere else are clear that you must not hesitate to extract them if you have a particularly tough time with wisdom teeth. They recommend that you see your dentist immediately. If the pain is overwhelming and you cannot manage it with painkillers, you must check into the emergency room.
Emergency Wisdom Teeth Removal:
When you check in to an ER with pain in your wisdom teeth, the doctors will do a thorough investigation. The obvious signs they are looking for are:
- Redness in the gums or
- Inflamed gums accompanied by pain and/or pus and
- Soreness in the lymph nodes underneath the jaw.
If there is difficulty opening your mouth and chewing or swallowing your food, or if you are running a temperature since your tooth pain, make an appointment with your emergency dentist without losing time.
Is Emergency Wisdom Tooth Removal Right For You?
The symptoms mentioned above may well prompt your oral health professional to go for the extraction. They may not want to rush into it choosing to keep a watch if they don’t expect the problem to escalate.
Is Wisdom Teeth Removal Painful?
The dentist will make a small cut in the gum to access the wisdom tooth if it hasn’t yet come through. He may also remove a tiny piece of bone covering the tooth. The tooth is also cut into smaller parts to make it easier to remove. If the tooth has erupted, then there is little need to make an incision in the gums. You may feel a little pressure when the dentist rocks the tooth back and forth before finally pulling it out of its socket.
A wisdom tooth removal is carefully carried out by an oral health professional. The dentist will begin by taking an X-ray of the mouth and then determine what sort of procedure he needs to follow.
Where can I receive Emergency Wisdom Teeth removal?
The dentist at the Emergency dental clinic will give you a local anesthetic injection to numb the tooth and its surrounding area before beginning the procedure. People prone to anxiety must talk to the dentist, who may also elect to give them a sedative to relax. The sedative is usually an injection shot in the arm.
There is usually no big need for anesthesia to be administered for extraction of the wisdom tooth. It is the hospital’s discretion to administer if they think it’s appropriate. The extraction procedure may take about 20 to 30 minutes, and the patient will go back home on the same day.
Cost of Removing Wisdom Teeth in Mandurah
Despite the Australian Dental Association’s cost guidelines, there is no upper limit to what your dentist can charge you. If your case is a little complicated and requires a specialist, you must expect to shell out high fees. You talk to your dentist about the estimated fees before you kick start the medical procedure in your best interest. You can use Medicare and other medical insurances to pay for the wisdom teeth extraction. The average cost of Wisdom teeth removal is somewhere pegged in Australia $150 to 200.
Things that can affect the cost of wisdom teeth removal:
Impacted teeth and other such complications can escalate the procedure’s cost as it will require surgery in the operation theatre. The place that you live in also will vary the cost you will be shelling out. Here in Western Australia, it is cheaper to extract teeth in the cities than in the rural area.
After the incision, the dentist will suture the area. It may take 7 to 10 days for the stitches to dissolve completely. He will gauze the site and also ask you to bite your jaws together for an hour to keep the pressure. This allows a blood clot to form in the now-empty socket where the tooth was. A blood clot is part of the healing, and you must not dislodge it. If you have contracted an infection, he may prescribe antibiotics.
What to eat after my wisdom teeth removal?
The recovery may take up to a couple of weeks. You must tweak your diet to include only soft foods not to hurt the extracted tooth’s site. Go for
- Ice creams
- Mashed veggies
- Yogurt and
- Milkshakes and
Tips for FAST Recovery After Wisdom Teeth Removal
- 24 hours into extraction, avoid:
- Rinsing your mouth
- Any hot beverages or soups
- Any strenuous activities
- Don’t eat any solid foods
- Do not drink through a straw as the suction can remove the blood clots
- Keep away from acidic foods, crispy and spicy food for at least a week
What to do if there’s an infection after the wisdom teeth removal?
- Improve oral hygiene
- Get the area cleaned by a professional oral health officer
- Complete antibiotics as people with low immunity may have complications later.
There is a general opinion that you need to keep your purse strings open when you approach dentists. But when you come to Peel Dental Studio in Mandurah, you can stay completely assured that you will be in the hands of the most experienced team of dentists along with well-trained support and administrative staff at a rate that is very reasonable.